John And His Double Fantasy

 


     So, I was listening to John Lennon’s Double Fantasy, and I was suddenly reminded of an incident during my high school days (which was awfully a long time ago, the telephone was just invented then, I think). We were in a male classmate/friend’s house, I can’t remember what we were doing but somebody told this classmate/friend of mine to play some music.  And he said they didn’t have music in the house, and he didn’t know any singers or bands— and they were upper middle class.

    He asked for some recommendations on what music he should listen to, and I remember saying, The Beatles. I still didn’t know Pink Floyd then. Lol. He just nodded and we continued what we were doing.

    After a month or two, I think, we went back to his house, and lo and behold, he proudly showed me his Beatles collection (all their albums) including some solo albums of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison. He told me he listened to them every day, and that he was grateful that I introduced him to the Beatles.

    I smiled and nodded and borrowed Band on The Run and Double Fantasy.

    Double Fantasy is not John’s best album, but it definitely has some absolute gems: “Beautiful Boy,” “(Just Like) Starting Over,” “I’m Losing You,” “Woman,” and “Watching the Wheels.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roger Waters, Thom Yorke, Taylor Swift, and an Audacious Instagram User

"Hey, This Song Has Built A House Inside My Head!"

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...