CRIMINALSPOTTING


Last week, an LBC delivery man knocked on our door, bringing me a magazine and a comic book. Since LBC men are famous (or infamous) for their spelling wizardry (they even made a TV commercial showcasing this skill), I put the delivery man to test. “Spell hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia,” I challenged him.

He smiled condescendingly, “It’s easy, it’s spelled L-B-C,” and off he flew on his motorcycle.

The magazine he brought me was ASAP! a magazine solely, I think, distributed in England. I wrote a few articles in its first few issues while the comic book was KC Cordero’s Comicspotting, which contained fours stories, three of them illustrated and one in prose.


All four stories are very good but my favorite is Kriminal!, a story of a delinquent who after being mishandled by a petty thief cunningly provoked two crooked cops into avenging him—cruelly and unintentionally.

It is one of those stories I wish I had written myself.

Comments

kc cordero said…
kriminal kasi ang writer, he-he. actually mahusay lang talaga ang artist. salamat sa asap help :)
TheCoolCanadian said…
I couldn't agree more with you, Mr. Mendoza.

What I like in Dikong KC's work is this: it never pretends to be other than what it is. It doesn't show a baseless angst that many young writers in the Philippines are doing today. Angry characters showing anger just for the heck of it.

What's more, the local color of these stories gives it international appeal.

These komiks were rather a display of the so-called "transcendent genius."

Coming deep from the heart, then surging into the intellect – and the realization leads to an open sesame of untold riches.
Ron Mendoza said…
Yup, top-notch din 'yong illustration. Re ASAP, will always be more than willing to help. :)
Ron Mendoza said…
Bossing JM,

And I also couldn't agree with you more. Kriminal! is only 4-pages long pero mas tumatak sa 'kin 'yon at mas naaliw ako kaysa sa ibang mahahabang kuwentong nabasa ko na gawa ng ibang awtor.
kc cordero said…
JM,
maraming salamat. ang mga komentos mo sa aking mga ginagawa ay kasama sa mga dahilan why i keep on reinventing myself and my craft. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...