"Hey, This Song Has Built A House Inside My Head!"


If you'd notice, I'd put a little musical thingamajig somewhere on this blog and I called it Last Song Syndrome. Last Song Syndrome, of course, happens when a song you just heard refuses to leave your mind for hours or even for days. You sing it or hum it while working or while taking a bath or changing your baby's or your granddad's diaper or taking your dog for a walk or just bumming around.

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd songs so most often than not, it is a Pink Floyd song that will always swirl inside my head. But I also listen to other musicians. I'll try to dissect and write a small background of every song that I will feature in this blog.

The Final Cut is one of my fave Pink Floyd songs. Very emotional, very depressing and has great vocals by Roger Waters , it is one of the songs from the album The Final Cut (an anti-war CD that was released in 1983), the last album where Roger Waters (Pink Floyd's main songwriter) took part in. After that album, Waters went solo.

The song The Final Cut (written by Waters) is about a sad and insecure man who's on the verge of committing suicide (see, we can all relate to this song. He he). He contemplates on his life (his lonely childhood and his collapsing marriage; his wife is threatening to leave him) before killing himself. But when he's about to kill himself, he realizes that he doesn't have the nerve to do it. The song is reportedly auto-biographical.
Artist: Pink Floyd
Album: The Final Cut
Title: The Final Cut
Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes,
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time,
And far from flying high in clear blue skies, I'm spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide.
If you negotiate the minefield in the drive and beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes,
And if you make it past the shotgun in the hall, dial the combination, open the priesthole
And if i'm in i'll tell you what's behind the wall.
There's a kid who had a big hallucination,
Making love to girls in magazines.
He wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith.
Could anybody love him? Or is it just a crazy dream?
And if i show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?
And if i open my heart to you, And show you my weak side, what would you do?
Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
Would you take the children away and leave me alone?
And smile in reassurance as you whisper down the phone? Would you send me packing? Or would you take me home?
Thought i oughta bare my naked feelings, thought i oughta tear the curtain down.
I held the blade in trembling hands, prepared to make it but just then the phone rang,
I never had the nerve to make the final cut...




Comments

Pare,

Anong album ng Pink Floyd 'yung pinagkunan ng mga ginagamit na pang-scoring sa mga pelikula ni Lito Lapid nu'ng araw? May kopya kasi ako dati nu'n, naiwala ko. Naghahanap ako nu'n dahil paboritong-paborito ko iyon, minana ko pa sa tatay ko.
Ron Mendoza said…
Gumamit ba ng kanta ng Pink Floyd 'yong mga pelikula ni Lito Lapid? Ang alam ko, 'yong isang movie ni Rudy Fernandez at si Lorna, 'yong 'Ayaw Matulog Ng Gabi' yata 'yon, ang gumamit ng kanta ng Pink Floyd bilang soundtrack. Maraming beses mong maririnig 'yong song sa duration ng movie, nakalimutan ko na lang kung ano 'yong song.

Actually, maraming local films at TV shows na ang gumamit ng Pink Floyd bilang background music.
Rudy Fernandez movie nga yata 'yun. Naalala ko na 'yung album na pinagkunan nu'n, 'yung "DARKSIDE OF THE MOON". 'Yang nasa primary picture mo ang cover nu'n. Cassete tape lang 'yung nawala kong kopya.

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...