Give Me A Leonard Cohen Afterworld (So I Can Sigh Eternally)

 

I'm not looking for another as I wander in my time
Walk me to the corner, our steps will always rhyme
You know my love goes with you as your love stays with me
It's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea
But let's not talk of love or chains and things we can't untie
Your eyes are soft with sorrow
Hey, that's no way to say goodbye…

 

     What’s that one word the best describes most of Leonard Cohen songs?

     Sublime.

     “Hey, That’s No Way To say Goodbye,” “True Love Leaves No Traces,” “Suzanne,” “So Long, Marianne,” “Hallelujah,” “Bird On The Wire,” and “Famous Bluer Raincoat,” to a name few of his songs, all sublime.

      This pandemic, most people, to battle depression and anxiety, try to find succor in music.

     And I’ve been finding succor from Mr. Cohen’s music among others.

     An acclaimed poet and a novelist before becoming a musician, Mr. Cohen died four years ago at the age of 82.

     Note: Title of this blog entry comes from a line in a Nirvana song, “Pennyroyal Tea.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...