A City Dreaming Of Unobstructed Roads And Sidewalks

 

     Went on an errand this morning to Binondo (we live in Tondo) and since I couldn’t bike (I have a painful trigger finger on my right thumb), I decided to just walk (safer than riding public vehicles this pandemic) and absorb the environment (which I couldn’t do when biking since I have to focus on the road ahead), and I noticed that the relentless clearing operations being done by Manila City Hall (they clear streets and sidewalks of obstructions like street dwellers, vendors, illegally-parked vehicles and illegal structures almost every day; truly a commendable effort) had sort of failed in our neighborhood as there were still vendors and vehicles and other obstructions on the sidewalks and the streets. I voted for Yorme Isko, incidentally.

     But it was a different thing altogether when it came to Divisoria. You could walk unobstructed through previously-vendors' paradise Ylaya (though sidewalks are still occupied by vendors) and through the previously-vendors' shangri-la sidewalks of Juan Luna. But there were many street dwellers in Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz in front of Binondo Church (see photo above). I took some photos there and noticed one male street (or plaza) dweller looking daggers at me so I pocketed my smartphone and left immediately. Lol. He probably thought I was there to report them.

     Anyway, clearing operations are still ongoing, I think, so these obstructions (living and non-living) could still be cleared.

     I got home and checked my step counter on my phone: 8,045 steps in 5.39 kilometers. Adults need to make at least 10,000 steps for their day to be considered real active and healthy, so I still need 1,055 steps to do (I hope my math here is accurate), but I could do it inside the house.

     And I bought some (processed) plums.

     And (spicy) Hopia Mahu from Polland. But I don’t think this food is healthy.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...