The Beatles Will Always Be Here, There And Everywhere (And Will Always Take You To A Magical, Mystery Tour)




      Lift up your hearts and sing me a song
     That was a hit before your mother was born
     Though she was born a long long time ago
     Your mother should know
     Sing it again...
                              "Your Mother Should Know," Beatles

      In the action/comedy movie Gringo (released just this year and which I was able to watch just a few days ago), which starred Charlize Theron (there are other lead stars but she’s the only one I can remember, lol), a Mexican drug cartel leader loves to ask his new acquaintances if they love the Beatles. If yes, he will ask them what they think is the Beatles’ greatest album. An answer not to his liking will have dire consequences. The greatest Beatles album for him is, unfortunately, Let It Be—it’s probably part of the joke.

      If you’d ask me what I think is the best Beatles album, I’d answer Revolver ("Eleanor Rigby," "Here, There And Everywhere," "For No One," "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" are genuine musical masterpieces). But ask me again next week and I’d probably answer Rubber Soul ("Norwegian Wood," "In My Life,"  "Girl" and "I’m Looking Through You" are magical pieces of music). And yet, ask me again two weeks from now, and I’d probably say Sgt. Peppers’ Lonely Hearts Club Band ("Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," "Getting Better," "Fixing A Hole," "She’s Leaving Home" and "A Day In The Life" are heavenly songs)  is their best creation. That’s how brilliant most  of their albums are, you'd be perpetually confused on which album is their best.

      But no, I’d probably never answer Let It Be (it’s probably my least played Beatles album).

      Back to the movie Gringo, the Mexican drug cartel leader asks a visitor if he loves the Beatles, and the visitor answers that he used to love the music of the Beatles but he has outgrown them—the drug cartel shoots him dead before he could finish what he’s saying.

      No one outgrows the Beatles, yes. One can be one hundred eighty five years old and will still be trippin' to the their music. And hundreds of years from now, while they enslave humans, AI robots will be relaxing to the songs of the Beatles while they will use the music of Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber as torture devices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...