Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Huling El Bimbo


Huwag kang matakot na matulog mag-isa
Kasama mo naman ako
Huwag kang matakot na umibig at lumuha
Kasama mo naman ako
Huwag kang matakot na magmukhang tanga
Kasama mo naman ako…


     Today is Monday, 11th of May, 2020 and the 56th day of the Luzon-wide lockdown.

     I woke up at around 8:30 PM and had sugarless black coffee, pan de sal with corned beef and sunlight for breakfast, then did some exercises at around 10:30 AM.

     We had ginisang upo for lunch.

     Last night, I finished the last (seventh with 13 episodes) season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine ( a comedy show about bumbling cops), and now, I don’t know what I should do. The show is one of my few sources of laughs and happiness (aside from my family, my niblings, Netflix, socmed photos of my pretty beloved, YouTube, okay, I actually got quite a lot of source of happiness) this lockdown era, and now it’s over, and I feel abandoned, I feel more deserted than when a girlfriend of mine then ran away with a married man. Anyway, the good news is that they’d be back for another season.

     And I’ve started watching another show, Gangs of London (a violent action-crime-drama shows about bitter rival gangs), which looks very promising. It’s currently rated 8.5 at IMDB and 71% at Rotten Tomatoes.

     Sonny Parsons, an actor and former member of legendary singing group Hagibis died yesterday from heatstroke. He was 61. Life is truly short. And the heat is really unbearable these days.

     Three days ago, we watched the musical Ang Huling El Bimbo on YouTube. Well, we were entertained because we are fans of Eraserheads (I bought almost all their albums and I almost always sing an Eraserheads whenever I am handed a videoke microphone) but plotwise (best friends being shattered by a tragedy and guilt), it was weak and unoriginal also, and the way they told that story was a bit flawed and not that interesting; characters are cliched and one-dimensional. And isn’t Jon Santos a bit older than his best friends and college batch mates in the play? But what do I know? My only experience in musicals is watching Jesus Christ Superstar every Holy Week. And yes, nobody danced the el bimbo in the musical. Maybe, it’d have been better if the lead character was a dancer, say, a female ballroom dance instructor, whose specialty is el bimbo, and who has a septuagenarian boyfriend, who is a corrupt and evil politician (for the obligatory social commentaries) who was killed by a virus. Lol. And the surname Banlaoi, I think, is pronounced Ban-la-wi, not Ban-law.

     There are now over four million (4,180,303) confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide, while a total of 1,490,776 have recovered, but there are 283,860 reported deaths. Meanwhile, in the Philippines, there are now 11,806 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with a total of 726 deaths (7 today) and total of 1,999 recoveries (75 today).

     There’s still no reliable cure and vaccine in sight, but a lot of people are now eager to go out and get back to their routines, so help us God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...