UP Versus Harry Roque (And A Misspelled Name)

     These past few days, Manila Electric Company (Meralco) and the water companies have been incurring the ire of their customers for the inexplicable surge in the amount on their bills. Yes, I think these two utilities companies are being unfair, but still, the number one company on my beef list is PLDT. Try having a problem with your internet connection and you’ll see what I mean—they will accept your call, and your myriad follow-up calls and they will promise to respond to what’s been bugging you, and then, no one will arrive at your house to fix it.

     “You still have a problem with your Internet connection, Sir?” they will answer your follow-up calls. “Why don’t we just upgrade your connection so it’ll be faster and you’ll pay more, I’m sure that will fix your problem.”

     At least, Meralco responds quickly when a transformer’s about to explode in our street.

     So I got me a newer version of Photoshop, not the latest though, but at least, it has new tools, and a little bit more alert than my previous copy.

     The strangest thing you’d probably encounter today: Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque showing utter jubilance that COVID-19 cases in the Philippines didn’t reach 40,000 as the month of June ends. He was happy that University of the Philippines’ prediction of 40,000 infected didn’t come true.  The official DOH count “only” reached around 37,000, a figure not really worth celebrating.

     I was watching TV Patrol ( a news program) when a curious name of a government official popped up: Goddes Hope Oliveros, who is an assistant secretary at the Department of Transportation (DOTr). Yup, the Goddes, which only has one S, was most likely misspelled. It reminds me of a friend in college, his name is Ulisis, unique name, yes? But my friend said that his father was trying to give him the name Ulysses, unfortunately, his father didn’t know how to spell it. My friend would always tell me then on how always annoyed he was with his name’s spelling and how people would tease him about it. "I would have appreciated if he just named me Boy," he'd tell me. Or Jose. Wait, he probably would’ve misspelled Jose, too.”

     I’d always console him by telling him that he should still feel relieved his father didn’t try to give him two names, like Ulysses Schwarzenegger. Imagine the spelling tragedy that would occur.

     It’s a good thing my Father gave me an easy-to-spell name.

     COVID-19 is still on beast mode, so keep wearing that mask, keep washing those hands and keep practicing physical distancing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...