Hamilton (And A Declaration of Love From A Madman)


     I wasn’t aware of it, I had no idea that it existed but my niece insisted that I watch it, and that I’d enjoy it, and since I had not been feeling well these past few days and was just staying in front of TV all day, I acquiesced and watched Hamilton (the 2020 Disney version). Hamilton is a Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton, George Washington’s right hand man and stars Lin-Manuel Miranda. It turned out to be a great decision as I really did immensely enjoy it. The play features hip-hop, R&B, rap and soul music, which aren’t really my kind of music but most of the songs (and lyrics, especially the lyrics and the voices) are really good. The weakest voice probably is that of the lead actor’s.

     The story’s compelling and also enlightening as it will teach you a bit about the history of America. And my favorite song from the show? “You’ll Be Back,” sung by Jonathan Groff (see video here), a declaration of love from King George III to his colony (America), telling the American how much he loves them and then, warning and threatening them about the revolt they are planning against Britain. A little trivia, Jonathan Groff is Kristoff’s voice in Frozen.

You'll be back like before
I will fight the fight and win the war
For your love, for your praise
And I'll love you 'til my dying days
When you're gone, I'll go mad
So don't throw away this thing we had
'Cause when push comes to shove
I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love

     Come to think of it, the whole song really sounds like a declaration of love from an abusive and deranged lover to a weary and wanting to quit partner. Indeed, lucky are those who find a sane and loving significant other---and colonizer, yes.

     Da da da dat da dat da da da da ya da!

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...