The Quiet Student


 

     Two days ago, while I was in a public market, buying something, I saw a family (or so they seemed) busy hanging a tarpaulin outside a house. The tarpaulin had a picture of a smiling young woman in toga and the words on the tarpaulin were: Congratulations, (the young woman’s name), Magna Cum Laude. Magna Cum Laude is, of course, the second highest honor you'd get in college. While walking away from that celebratory activity, I heard a man quipping that the young woman’s academic honours surprised them, as she didn’t quite excel in high school and was often quiet.

     And I could relate with that—I have a nephew, a sister’s oldest kid, and just like with our other niblings, we are close to him and would often spoil him, but I don’t know if he excelled in high school as I never queried his mother about it, but this nephew of mine is quiet, an introvert who would barely talk in family gatherings and would often be glued in front of a computer, or a tablet, or a cell phone playing a video game. You have to initiate the conversation if you want to talk to him. Ask his opinion on a topic that is quite deep, and he often just would shrug and smile or agree with you and smile. He has a Facebook account but he almost never post on it.

     And my bad, I thought, because he’s a bit addicted to video games and gadgets, he was just an average student.

     But two weeks ago, he graduated Magna Cum Laude, and from a very good school.

     So yeah, like they say, don’t judge your brother, or in my case, nephew, because he is not a book. Lol.

     And no, my sister’s family didn’t hang a tarpaulin outside their home congratulating him. Go to my nephew's Facebook account, and you'd never even get a hint that he already had graduated.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...