Taking The Face Mask Off


 

     Few days ago, for the first time since COVID-19 went epidemic, with the government adopting the policy of voluntary wearing of mask outdoors, I went out of the house without mask—went to an establishment just a few hundred meters away—and it felt liberating and strange. Liberating because you can now breathe freely and fully; strange because it felt like you’re sort of naked, like you’re missing an important piece of garment. Half of the people in the streets at that time were also barefaced. I don’t think we’re really over COVID-19 now, so I’d still wear mask when going to a really crowded place.

     Last January, I fell ill with COVID-19-like symptoms (fever, coughs, sore throat, fatigue, and headache) but I didn’t get myself tested so I really didn’t know if I had it. I wasn’t really apprehensive at that time because I already had two vaccinations (like all my household companions). But I stayed away from our dog just in case I had something really nasty that I could transfer to him.  The dog was unvaccinated. I was waiting for more serious symptoms (like shortness of breath or chest pain) but nothing came. But I’d get anxious and sad for no reason at all at times.

     I took the usual medicines for flu, and after a few weeks got better. But I remember my mind being foggy and my body getting easily tired for several weeks more.  Maybe, I did get COVID-19, the mild version. There are these alleged long-term effects of COVID-19. I don't feel fatigued now and my mind's clear. But I’d still get anxious and dejected for no reason at all at times. I'd just ignore them, as they would sometimes just be fleeting. I avoid things that would make me feel anxious or dejected. I try not to get fixated with them if I already failed avoiding them. I try to focus on things that make me happy.

     COVID-19 was nasty, so I hope it is really on its way out now, and nothing nastier would replace it.

     A virus nastier than COVID-19, something that would require not only a surgical or cloth mask but a gas mask, would furthermore devastate humanity, if not end the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things You Are Not Allowed To Do During Holy Week (Or So They Say)

Wait For Her (The Song And The Poem)

AND HERE'S SOME BAD NEWS...